Xiatong Cai is currently a Ph.D. student majoring in Environmental Engineering at the University of Ottawa. He received his bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering at Shanxi University, China, where he developed his research skills on air pollutant control and soil pollutant remediation. He discovered his interested in ecology at the third year of his bachelor and chose to have a one-year gap after his graduation as a research assistant in Shanxi University to fulfill his knowledge on ecology and agriculture.
During his master’s study, he worked on a project on urban water management and developed an open-source computational model named Hydraulic and Risk Combined Model (HRCM) for sewer rehabilitation. He also developed an optimization procedure named SAP to overcome the NP problems in sewer systems.
Currently, under the co-supervision of Dr. Raeymaekers his Ph.D. project “Fish genetic connectivity and adaptation due to human-mediated hydraulic effects” aims to fill the gap between hydraulic engineering and eco-evolutionary dynamics. He wants to use landscape genomics theory to refine the engineering design of hydraulic structures. In the field, Xiatong has a remarkable talent to find the broken wader and “swim” in the river. Except for his academic roles as a reviewer for the journals, Water Resources Management, and Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice, he is also an Engineering Intern (EIT) at the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) Canada. During his vacation, he loves to make photos. He believes that he is a fine art photographer, but he does not know what is fine art yet.
List of major publications
- Cai, H. Shirkhani, A. Mohammadian; Risk-Informed Framework for Sewerage System Rehabilitation Management. (2020) Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice (ASCE), 2021, 12(2): 04020075.
- Cai, A. Mohammadian, H. Shirkhani; An Efficient Framework for Multi-Objective Risk-Informed Decision Support Systems for Drainage Rehabilitation. Math. Comput. Appl. 2020, 25, 73.
- Geng, X. Feng, J. Zhi, X. Cai, Effects of Sodium Percarbonate on Degradation of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid and on alteration of Bacteria Communities in Soil, The 2nd Tsinghua Forum on Environmental Remediation (2019)
- Geng et al. (X. Cai contributed to the fourth chapter in this book), The Application of Electron Probe Micro-Analysis (EPMA) in Aerosal Single Particle Analysis (2018), ISBN：9787030579508.
- Pei, Y. Zhu, X. Cai, W. Shi, H. Li, Surfactant Flushing Remediation of O-dichlorobenzene and P-dichlorobenzene Contaminated Soil, Chemosphere 185, 1112-1121 (2017).
- Xuan, L. Chen, H. Geng, L. Zhao, X. Cai, F. Cheng, Estimate and Distribution Analysis of NH3 Emission in Taiyuan, Journal of Shanxi Agricultural Sciences 43 (2), 176-179 (2015).
- Geng, Y. Xuan, X. Cai, Y. Zhang, H. Zhou, Z. Zhang, Mass Concentration Variation, and Cluster Analysis of Urban Air Pollutants in Taiyuan, Shanxi Province during Chinese New Year of 2014, Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae 35 (4), 965-974 (2015).
- Geng, X. Cai, W. Liu, Y. Dong, S. Li, X. Shi, Y. Zhao, Application of Environmental Aesthetics Theory to Constructing a “Beautiful Shanxi Province”, the 8th-ICIPEC No.: ECO-08 (2014).
- Geng, Y. Xuan, X. Cai, L. Zhao, C. Ro, Single-particle analysis of tobacco smoke treated tilt through different filtration materials, The 4th International Symposium on Aqun Science and Water Resource (2014).
- Geng, Y. Zhang, Y. Zhao, S. Zhang, Y. Liu, X. Shi, X. Cai, Y. Xuan, Characterization of urban PM2.5 non-point sources and the ways to manage and control, China Environmental Protection Industry Association Environmental Impact Assessment Industry Branch 2014 PM2.5 and haze control symposium (2014).